Thurm & I spent Friday night and Saturday morning with two couples from our ward at a cabin in Kamus. When we first moved into the ward last October, these same people creepily surrounded us in Sunday school and invited us to said cabin. I have to admit I was scared they were going to take us up in the woods and make us join their cult. It never worked out for us to go to the cabin till this weekend. And thankfully, there were no rituals, and we had a fun time. One of the husbands, Tom, was a riot. The type of guy that has a story for everything and lives to entertain. I've decided that every good group has to have one of these people. In a matter of 8 hours every controversial subject you can think of was discussed. Its always so interesting getting to know people on a deeper level than just the polite "how do you do's" at church. I felt like both couples had laid out alot of their dirty laundry. I know they expected the same of Thurm & I, but we are both much more private than that. It was one of the cases where I thought one of the women had a perfect life and came from a rich, religious family, but that wasn't the case. Her family had tons of heartache and problems. It made me thankful for Thurm's and my family. We aren't perfect, but basically everyone is living a good life. On our drive home I asked Thurm if he thought everyone liked us and his reply was "people like them always love people like us." Meaning, people who like to entertain need to have people like us to laugh and their jokes. Lesson re-learned: I'm a fairly negative person and I always think people are so shallow, but then I get to know them and I remember that I really love people. And that everyone has something interesting about them or something to add to my life.
Other Weekend Activities: Thurm's cousin's reception, I ate about 20 chocolate covered strawberries : ) mmmm. My brother, Wade and family have moved to SLC! (I'm going to show them a good time to try and convince them that SLC is great if you can just get past the overwhelming Mormon culture.) Went to a ward picnic in the park. Thurm won the pie eating contest. We together won the 3-legged race. Went swimming, watched Apocalypto, read, laid on the grass in the shade, played Bocce. Great weekend.
2 comments:
Better work hard Nat,
Deanna alreay regestered her car in Idaho, and got an Idaho drivers lisence. Mom's also pulling out all the stops. Besides don't you have to convince yourself first, that SLC is great.
Dave
At least SLC has more than one escalator.
Post a Comment