Monday, March 03, 2008

Sorry Jonathan, I had to post this... it was too funny.

GNAT-

I just wrote a whole comment that I was going to post on your blog but
I am so paranoid about it being a family place that I fear my cynicism
may not be welcome by all who read it. I liked my comment though, so
I thought I would at least share it with you. Plus, it is another
long one that makes me think I should start a blog of my own. I
hardly have time to keep up with my facebook. Here it is:

I am really writing to comment on the name selection poll, not the
whole "pudem," "pumem" charade, but while I am here I do have one
thing to say about your most recent blog, it is this: BUY A TV
ALREADY! Trust me, you will like it and Quinn/Roman/Moses/Kale will
thank you--and me. Look, you grew up with a TV and turned out fine.
We had nearly as many TVs as people in our house and I Lizzy and I
survived. Sure, I am shallow, emotionless and sometimes brutally
sarcastic, but that has nothing to do with TV. Ok, maybe a little.

So, back to the names. I was holding off voting until I saw some form
of Jonathan, Tyler, JT etc on the list but it is becoming clear to me
that if I want a kid to be named after me, I am going to have to get
someone pregnant myself or start sending $.89/day (just the price of a
cup of coffee) to a child in sub-saharan Africa who might befriend a
kindly priest and ask for a "Christian" name. Now that this is
officially not about me, I will tell you I voted for "Moses." I had
to. I am sure this might offend a family member (that I may or may
not know) but I didn't want the name "Kale" to win. I mean, kale is
the grossest of the leafy green vegetables. Kids have it tough these
days (or so I hear) without that kind of burden. Come to think of it
"Roman" is just two letters away from being "romaine" which, while
quite tasty in a Caesar salad, is another leafy green vegetable. What
are you trying to do to this kid? On the other hand, Moses is not a
vegetable or vegetable-related but could be a lot of pressure on a
kid. I can just see you talking to people you run into at the mall,

Person at the mall: "Oh, what a cute baby! What's his name?"

Nat: "Moses."

Person at the mall: "Oh, just like in the Old Testament."

Nat: "Ya, kind of, but without the tablets, the unparalleled
spirituality that garners attention for aeons of time or the strong
leadership skills."

Not to regress, but you are right, TV might screw up kids.

***********

Really, the pictures are great and MAN! you are pregnant. Still seems
surreal. I do like the name choices and know you well enough to know
they wouldn't be conventional. I like the idea of names not many
other people have (just not Soda or Seven). I am starting in the ER
on Tuesday, which means I am only working 40 hours/week. That should
give me time to catch up on old emails and my facebook page--and call
you.

Talk to you soon,
Jonalove

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Jonathan-- just a thought, have you ever known me to frequent a mall? I loved your whole scenario up till the mall part. I'm going to just imagine its in Wal-mart of something.