Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I found out that my Nikon shoots dark. I mean, I knew that, but I found out the manufacturer made it that way. I always thought that maybe my camera was messed up and shot a couple stops darker than it was supposed to. This has been a huge annoyance to me because when I shoot on auto, I always have to lighten my photos later. And I tend to shoot on auto when I do big groups because I get stressed and can't focus on how to set up my light. So the point is, that my photos are always dark and I'm really annoyed that I'm just now taking the time to figure out what I need to do. I always make things I enjoy into a chore. : ( I also came to the realization that I can't shoot on auto when I take self-photos. Anyway.

Quinn has had a ROUGH week. He has learned a new scream/cry that isn't very fun to listen to. And he has decided that he doesn't need to take naps. Therefore, he is ridiculously tired and cranky. So right now I'm listening to him scream/cry and resisting the urge get him out of his crib. Tough love is hard to do, but he needs his sleep.

I've decided that the real difference between men and women is the tolerance for crying. Before Quinn was born, Thurm and I thought that he'd be the good cop and I'd be the bad cop. But it's turning out that Thurm has little patience for crying and irrational, baby-like behavior. I, on the other hand, can listen to the crying all the live long day and it rarely gets to me.

I've been invited to TWO scrap booking groups that meet once a month. What to do... I don't really scrapbook, but it's one of the few social outlets I'll get. Here are my social outlets: scrap booking, book club, and sewing. Very motherly, I know. Well, the book club could be hip and intellectual, but its not. It's older women sharing about church books or romance/mystery novels.

In the last few weeks I've read three really good books. I love that nursing provides guilt-free reading time. The Scarlet Pimpernel was good, but took me like 80 pages to get into. Once I figured out who the SP was, then I got into it. It was fun, mystery and romance. Anthem, by Ayn Rand was good. It was along the lines of 1984, Fahrenheit 451, A Handmaid's Tale. They are all about a future society where the government is suppressing the people in some fashion. I really liked all those books. I just read Animal Farm (same author as 1984, George Orwell) and thought it was good and disturbing. It was written around the WWII and is basically an allegory of Hitler's reign. And now I'm reading James Joyce's Dubliners- so far, so good.

2 comments:

Pam said...

My canon shoots dark as well, I think most cameras do? I shoot in manual and meter it at +1 1/3 and that gets the right exposure for my camera. Try taking shots in the same light at a few different stops and that should tell you what you need to be metering at.

Hope Quinn has a better week!

Natalie said...

Of course, not to trifle.