Sunday night I went to a women's stake fireside with all young women and RS sisters. The stake leaders have decided to challenge all RS sisters to complete the new Virtue goal that was added to the YW's goals. For those readers who don't speak Mormon, young women have goals to complete over a few years and receive necklaces for each major acheivement...along the lines of boy scouts. The categories for the goals are Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice & Accountabilty, Good Works, and Integrity and recently they added Virtue. The stake leaders decided that Virtue was so important that the RS sisters should complete the goals as well. It involves reading some scriptures, journaling about thoughts, reading the Book of Mormon, and a few other things.
Something that was said that night that really stood out was "virtue is in danger." Its so true. Virtue in the world is not praised or respected. Its not desirable to be a virtuous women... its almost thought of as taking a step back for womankind. "Prude" is a put down. Another thought that stood out was "making it to the temple is just the beginning." I think this was so important for the young women to hear. This was something that I always thought, that if I could just make it to the temple I'd be home free. Its still a challenge to stay temple worthy. Granted, there is alot more on the line than before to keep me in check. But every person in this world is tempted every day with things to bring them down. Greed, depression, immorality, addiction, etc.
Another thing that was said was that our homes should be as pure as temples. I started thinking about how Satan is getting into my home?....movies, internet, books, TV, our thoughts. Then I thought how is the Lord getting into my home?..prayer, scriptures, going to church, AND through Thurm & I. Its our responsibility to make sure that its the Lord coming into our home and not Satan. We need to make sure that we are opening the right doors and closing the wrong ones. It just made me realize that its up to ME to make sure Quinn has access to the right things. I'm always concerned about guarding against the bad that I forget about how important it is to make sure he has the right things.
Tonight Thurm & I had a conversation about how women's lib has really been a set back for families. When I was in college I thought I was Ms. Women's Lib. I wanted an equal relationship with a man. I wanted a career. I wanted all my rights! But I was immature in my opinions. And I feel that the world is still immature in its opinions on equal rights. People are over compensating---its like they are going over the line of equal, to "women deserve more." And actually, the stake fireside was one of the reasons I started thinking about this. The stake president was there and gave a talk and one of the things he said was "women, if someone ever tells you, you are as good as a man, don't believe it. You are better than a man." He said a few other things along those lines. And I know his intention was to make sure we women know how valuable we are.... but its at the expense of men. This is the mentality right now. We have to man bash to make women feel good. And maybe this immature mentality will level out someday to true equality. It reminds me of affirmative action and how minorities have first dibs on a job over a white male. The intention is good, but really its doing more damage to all involved. The qualified person doesn't get the job and its actually making the minority feel like less because they only get the job because of their color.
So Thurm & I were talking tonight about how women's lib has really been a downfall for the family unit. With women's lib came sexual revolution. Its a woman's right to sleep around just like a man does. No commitment and attachments, just fulfillment. And somehow women were duped into thinking this made them more powerful to be in charge of their sexuality. Really? because it seems like women are treated just as much if not more like sex objects than ever. And it seems like women more than ever are wanting to be treated this way....because its empowering? Break down of the family unit. Studies have shown that the breakdown of the family unit, is the break down of our communities and society.
Also comes the "anything you can do, I can do better." Women feel its demeaning to ONLY be a mom, they want a career. Which is fine, I did too. But why do we have to put down the importance of motherhood. Can't we see the direct coorelation between single parent homes, parents who both work, and youth that are struggling with grades, drugs, peer pressure, self esteem, teen pregnancy, etc, etc. Kids need parents at HOME raising them. I know its not always possible. We are poor. And its pretty likely that I'll have to go back to work one of these days... but we are doing all we can so that I can stay home and raise the children we are bringing into this world. I can't expect teachers and TV to teach my kids how to be good, responsible, respectful people. I believe it is women's nature and role to be mothers, to raise children. Even if you don't believe in god, look at nature, the animal kingdom, the circle of life. Its science. There is a reason why women are the ones to give birth. Its in our nature to nurture. But I'm married to a guy who would be world's best Mr. Mom. I think its important for ONE OF the parents to raise the child.
I have more thoughts on this, but its almost midnight and my brain is getting fuzzy. Maybe I'll add more later.
No comments:
Post a Comment