Sunday, July 25, 2010

Labor Story

A few people have asked me about my labor story, so instead of re-typing it a million times, here it is. 

The night before my scheduled induction, I started having contractions. By that morning they were painful and fairly regular, 7-10 minutes apart. I was excited because that might mean I wouldn't have to use PIT (which I hate).  My mom had taken Quinn to Idaho the night before, so Thurm & I had a leisurely morning and then he drove me to the hospital.

















The excited daddy!



The fat mama.
























The adorable, brand new baby.
















When we got to the hospital and they checked me I was still at 3cm and 75% effaced, which is what I had been for a week. Contractions all night, and nothing happened : ( So they broke my water and put me on PIT. Instant HORRIBLE pain. My friend's words of advice "don't be a hero, get an epidural" kept running through my mind. So I got an epidural right away.  
My contraction were getting really hard, but I wasn't advancing very quickly.  Every time I had a contraction, the baby's heart rate dropped. Since I wasn't advancing, they thought potentially I might have to have a c-section if Jens' heart rate kept dropping. My doctor thought that the umbilical cord might be getting squished with the contractions, so they put water BACK into my uterus (never heard of that before).  They took me off PIT to lighten my contractions and the baby's heart rate leveled out.  
They put me back on PIT an hour later and within 15 mintues I was ready to push. Three contractions later, Jens was born! He had his cord wrapped around his neck, which explains his heart rate dropping.  He broke his collar bone in the delivery. I'm not sure if my doctor was being rough trying to get him out as fast as possible, or if Jens is just built like a line backer and couldn't get out. Either way, he's been fine and hasn't seemed sensitive about his collar bone.  
 So I have two little boys with broken collar bones. What are the chances. 

It took him a day or two to figure out how to latch and suck, but he's been nursing like a champ. My milk came in right on time and it hasn't been a stress like last time. Fhew! 

He has been sleeps pretty good at night, but has a wakeful period from 1am-3am. Not so fun, but I'm sure he'll get it figured out soon. 

He is just so different from Quinn. Its been so weird. Quinn came out a little man. He was so alert from the second he was born. He had long periods of being awake. He had these bright, wise eyes that he would just watch everything and take it all in. He seriously just looked like he knew what was up and he was evaluating it all.  Quinn came out of the womb, stretched out all his limbs and never curled back up again. He would relax, suck on his binky, and check everything out.  Thurm and I always said we didn't know what it was like to have a baby because Quinn never was one.  

Jens has been a 'baby'.  He is the sleepiest little guy.  He cracks open his eyes occasionally to tell me he's hungry and then its back to sleep.  He stays curled up in a little ball... its impossible to uncurl his legs.  He never unclenches his fists. Sucking on a binky is completely foreign.  Its just been so funny to compare how different they are. It'll be so fun to watch them grow up.  


No comments: