Thursday, August 18, 2011

I've been thinking about what it means to be dedicated. Specifically dedicated to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've been reading about the pioneer Willie Handcart company that crossed the plains to Salt Lake. If you don't know the story, the short version is that they didn't have wagons, they walked and pulled their food and personal items in a handcart. They left Iowa way too late in the season and got caught in the middle of snow storms in Wyhoming. Out of about 500 people, 50-something died.  Which it seems like a huge tragedy and church members talk about this pioneer party frequently because of the heart wrenching stories.  But its actually pretty miraculous that ONLY 50-something people died.  Would I walk across America in snow, no shoes just rags wrapped around my feet, a handful of flour to eat per day?  Or would I be one the few that joined the first settlement we came across because it was too hard and possibly deadly? Would I give my life for the gospel.  I'd like to say that I would...
Last Sunday one of my primary teachers passed away.  She had a pulse Sunday morning, but wouldn't wake up. They life flighted her to Salt Lake where she passed away. Her daughter, also one of my primary teachers, called substitutes to take their classes before leaving for Salt Lake. In the middle of a fatal emergency she had the presence of mind to make sure her primary class had a teacher. If I did anything, I'd probably just call the president to tell her I wouldn't be there and pat myself on the back for doing that. I was just so impressed with her dedication to her calling.

Maybe some more thoughts on this later....

No comments: