| Our latest project-refinishing the floors. I feel bad because going into this project, I was thinking I'd be able to mostly help Thurm do this. I didn't realize how strong the polyeurithane and stripper were. So Thurm basically did this project by himself. I feel so bad because it was me pushing to get the project done. But he never complained and worked alone for four days after work, while the kids and I went to Idaho. What a great husband : ) The floors had so many spots that were worn down to the wood. It was staining the wood and looked really bad. We of course, ran into many problems. We had to first pull up all the tiles in the kitchen and the glue underneath was really sticky and hard to remove. We finally got an adhesive stripper that worked. The second problem was as we were sanding the living room floors, the edges of the room were less worn and had more build up of stain and varnish. It gummed up the sandpaper in a matter of minutes. And the drum sandpaper was $9 a sheet, which made this project alot more expensive than it needed to be. We should have stopped sanding and stripped the edges, but the sander was rented, the kids were being babysat, and I couldn't be around the chemicals because I'm pregnant. The third problem was the old wood had warped over time and the boards were rounded so the sand didn't reach into the grooves. So I finally decided to go the opposite of the grain and that removed the stain from the grooves. But it caused some huge areas of scratches that can still be seen. The fourth problem was the heat baseboards that perimeter every room in our house. There was no sander we could rent or buy that would fit underneath them. So Thurm had to put on stripper, scrape, and then hand sand underneath all of it. That alone took him a night and the next morning to do : ( The last problem was the staining in the kitchen. There is black in the grain of the wood that wouldn't strip or sand out. It gives it an antique feel, but doesn't match the rest of the wood. Its fine except around the edges where we couldn't get an electric sander too. The hand sander just was aggressive enough. BUT Thurm did a great job. He worked his guts out and it was a pretty huge job especially for someone who had never done anything like it before. We are learning lots of skillzzz on this house. |
2 comments:
The floors are beautiful! I love hardwood. The old stuff is so pretty even if it is worn. I have newer stuff in my house and I don't like it very much. Good job to Thurm. That is an amazing feat to accomplish, especially in 4 days. Love the pics.
Thanks Debi! It WAS a feat in four days! I hate home improvement, but there is some pride and satisfaction that comes out of it.
Post a Comment