I'm a snob. I think I've finally come to terms with this. I didn't think I was a snob because when I think of "snob," I think of someone who cares about material things. One of my best friends, Jonathan, he's a snob. Drives a BMW, thinks of his Banana Republic clothes as lounge clothes, doesn't blink about dropping $40 on a good steak that only comes with a small potato. And I think he takes a little pride in his snobbery. But this snobbery is an endearing part of his personality.
However, I never really thought of myself as a snob. I don't care about clothes, nice cars, cool cell phones, big houses, etc. But that’s where I'm snobby. I'm above all that material stuff. I look down my nose at people who care about those things. They haven't transcended that level of life yet. They care about what about what others think of them. I started recognizing this in myself after I started recognizing it in my husband. It took a few months of me dating Thurm to start seeing that in him. And after a few months of marriage, I had his snobberies pin pointed down. It’s a beautiful thing when you find someone in life that shares your snobberies : )
So I've decided everyone is a snob about something. I take pride in not caring about material things. Jonathan takes pride in his BMW. What is your snobbery?
3 comments:
i want to be friends with jonathan. :)
Jonalove-
I emailed your gmail, but it makes sense you haven't been checking it. I gotta say, I was a little worried you were honestly mad. Voice inflection makes all the difference.
I can't believe I didn't make the connection before, but Adena & Jonathan you two would be BEST FRIENDS!!! Seriously, it would be a battle of the wits constantly! Adena meet Jonathan-- I'm sure I talked about him in Taiwan. He is funny, smart, a great dresser... a doctor (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
Jonathan meet Adena--She is smart, beautiful, a word-smith, an occasional actress, beyond talented, witty (that biting, sassy wit that I know you love).
You two share a love of travel, movies, Seinfeld, and I believe politics.
We had Thanksgiving dinner with my side of the family on Friday night. I have an education snob brother. We were talking about the failed attempt to pass the school vouchers. I was against them-he for them. His 3rd grader is in private school and tests out in 10th grade. Woop dee do. I gave my reasons for my position. We volleyed-It got tense. My husband Jared (Natalie's eldest sibling) gave me the stop talking glare and I declared a truce with said brother.
At dessert our son Aidan took an enormous piece of chocolate cake (the Costco one) and a bro-in-law told him he would give him $5 to eat it all. Aidan did his best, but it wasn't going well. The snobby brother could stand no more and after asking if Aidan attends public school (big laughs from all) he offered him $20 to stop eating.
Fun, fun, fun :)
Oh, and I don't consider myself a snob. Maybe it is denial, but then how would I know?
Post a Comment