Friday, September 12, 2008

It's almost midnight, my men are sleeping, and I'm wasting some time waiting for some bread to bake. Today I made vegetable barley soup, vegetarian chili, dahl (Indian lentil soup), cornbread made with yogurt, muffins made with applesauce, and sour dough bread. Thurm and I are trying to eat healthy, so I've been making recipes from a weight watchers cook book. The problem is I've been spending ALOT of time doing it. So I thought maybe I'd just kill a whole day and freeze a bunch of stuff. So far this cookbook is awesome. We've only eaten one meal that was sub-par. I'll have to post a few recipes.

Tuesday night I went to a book club. Well more of a book REPORT/SHARE club. They don't want everyone to have to buy the same book because of the expense of either driving into SLC or ordering it online. And the library here probably wouldn't have whatever book we were reading. So each month, we bring a few books that we've read, tell about them, and let others borrow said books. Pretty lame, but when living the life of a desert rat you take what you can get. So I'm at the book club and we went around the circle and introduced ourselves and told what we did. The woman before me said her name and said "I'm JUST a stay at home mom." Maybe its because I'm 29 and just now becoming a stay at home mom, but I think it rocks. When I introduced myself I said "I'm Natalie and I GET to stay at home with my baby." Now I know this woman had her first baby at a young age and is pregnant with her fifth, so maybe her perspective is a little different than mine. I had a good run as a single girl, got my education, traveled, lived in a foreign country, kissed a few boys. And I gotta say, being at home with an adorable baby is the best thing I've done so far. Today he discovered his feet. Yesterday he was nursing and caught my eye. He stopped sucking and proceeded to coo and talk to me for about five minutes before he finished his lunch. The day before he realized that there was a baby in the mirror and it smiled when he smiled. I could go on about all the adorable, heart-bursting moments that our little baby provides, but the bread's done.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I so agree with you Natalie! I got married super young but it took alot of money and hard work for us to have our kids and I know I appreciate this awesome responsibility SO MUCH more because of that. It is the best thing ever!

Pam said...

Oh, and do post some of those recipes. I'm always looking for healthier things to make for my family.

arianne said...

I seriously dream of the day when I don't have to go to work anymore and I just get to lie in bed with my adorable, very quiet and sweet baby, and then I get to get up and make some crafty things, bake some delicious food, can some stuff, sew a quilt, and wait for my husband to come home. I'm sure I'm romanticizing the whole thing a little bit, but I think it will be the best thing in the world. No more co-workers, no more staff, no more solving other people's problems that make you so sad you want to cry. No, just solving visiting teaching problems once a month. I can handle that.