The Business of Being Born- you can watch it for free on netflicks.com
I just watched the best documentary on giving birth in America called "The Business of Being Born." Its everything that I wish I would have known before giving birth. It made so much sense and put into words the thoughts I had while going through my birth experience. Before giving birth I really wanted a drug-free, vaginal birth. Before giving birth, however, every book you read and every doctor preps you for the 1 in 4 chance that you'll have a c-section. This mystified me. How is that number so high when women since the dawn of time have given birth without surgery. The documentary explained all the factors that have made births in America in the 2000 become the way they are. Alot of it is fear based. And I'll admit that I was scared. Scared that if I didn't do what the doctor recommended, I'd hurt my baby.
My vicious cycle began with being induced. Once you are induced the contractions are so hard that almost everyone opts to have an epidural. Then if the baby doesn't come within a certain time frame, c-sections become necessary because the baby is not getting enough oxygen related to all the drugs coursing through your body. (I had a vaginal birth). The oxytocin that they give you is supposed to be like the hormones your own body produces to bring on contractions. However, its missing the "love and protect" hormone that women produce. And I experienced this; that when the baby is born, women are missing that hormone and almost don't want much to do with baby. However, women that go drug-free are filled with the "love and protect" hormone and instantly bond with their baby. Another part of giving birth naturally is that you are free to walk about, stand, etc. to help the birthing process along. The worst way to give birth is laying down because of the angle of the pelvis. I asked for a "walking epidural" so that I could stand and let gravity help, but they didn't even have them at my hospital.
Women that I talked to before said "get the drugs, a book, take a nap, and wait for the baby to arrive. Which is basically what ended up happening. I was so out of it that I really don't remember much of the first day of Quinn's life. Women kept asking me "why go natural when you can go pain-free?" And after the first hour of pitocen induced contractions I convinced myself of the same thing. In the moment of all that pain, I couldn't remember why I wanted to go natural in the first place. I wanted to go natural so I would be coherent for it all, so that my baby wouldn't come into the world hopped up on drugs, so that I could pass through that womanly right of passage, and a few other reasons. I didn't have the experience that I wanted to and I blame my own naivety. I wish that I would have watched this documentary before. In the hospital, you trust that the information you are given is full and in your best interest. But its not. I don't think most women in America know what their options are.
Basically the documentary shows the benefits of using a mid-wife, having home births, water births, etc. It also shows the manipulations of insurance companies. Midwives are cheaper, safer, better for mother and baby, less deaths, etc. There were some statistics that I can't remember that basically said Europe has it figured out and America is stupid. It comes down to not being educated and just following the status quo.
I might have some facts wrong, so you should probably just watch it for yourself. I'm sure my doctor brother is rolling his eyes at his hippie sister, but I encourage you all to watch it : )
6 comments:
Ultimately you do what is best for the baby. I had one natural-and it was mighty painful, but fast and wonderful. I can deal with that.
The second one was c-section as it needed to be. I was disappointed to not go natural, but I could have easily lost a child that way.
I completely disagree that women don't bond with a child because of drugs in their system. I wasn't able to hold Chase until he was 3 days old, and we bonded well.
So while the opinions and fear factor run high on how to have the perfect birth-you take it as it comes and when you end up with a healthy baby how you got there really shouldn't matter.
As always, my & .02-take it for what it is worth. :)
Of course you should do what's best for the baby. And of course alot of c-sections are unavoidable and best for the baby. But I think the documentary was directed at just normal, healthy births that turn into c-sections because of pit and epidurals, etc.
And I think that most women always bond with their babies drugs or not. However, I did experience the sort of emtion-less feeling right after giving birth. I wanted to just sleep and relax more than hold Quinn. I don't even think I held him much in the first 24 hours. And you could say that that is just me, but it sounded like from this documentary that its a medical fact that this happens with women who are induced. But regardless I bonded with Quinn eventually. The documentary was just saying there is another option and actually a better option for alot of women.
And yes, your right a healthy baby is all that matters. But thats what this movie is telling us. That using midwives actually results in healthy babies more than using a doctor and medicine.
Can I just say, as the rolling eyes doctor brother's wife, that you are mostly right, but the doctor's are scared. They don't want to be sued for everything they have and then some because something "natural" didn't occur naturally. Did you know that in Washington DC you can't even find an OB to deliver your baby because they don't make enough money to cover their malpractice insurance. So, don't blame the doctor's blame the attorney's that have convinced America it is the doctor's fault. Put yourself in the Dr's shoes, and imagine what they are thinking. They want everything to go as smoothly as possible, but when it doesn't what would you have them do differently. If you make the decision to do things your way and something goes wrong they still are held responsible for your decision.
D-I know you are right, and it actually is the insurance agencies that are to blame. Thats why I might choose a midwife next time, because there whole goal is natural pregnancies. But I won't be too prideful to admit that I will want a surgeon on stand-by : )
Thurm just pointed out that we were all basically on the same page but are still arguing. I replied "how come all the other in-laws have learned the art of arguing except for you? Come on! Catch up!"
I'm not arguing with your point of view. I am a firm believer in "to each his own", but I see it from the Dr's side daily and if you think about it, if something goes wrong it is almost always the Dr's fault.
Post a Comment