Saturday, May 01, 2010

Suggestions???



I need some help.  So we are going to re-do our bathroom at some point and I have slowly been gathering the pieces.  
1-My dad gave us some left over floor tiles from his bathroom-the grey 12x12 on the left and we have enough to do our bathroom floor. 
2- At a previous job I got this sink and a matching toilet for free.  
3-In exchange for a photo session, my friend bought me a shower curtain (floral print on right) with matching towels, bath mat, and green wall paint (sample on little card in the middle).  And somehow they all seem to match!!! 
4-So I bought a sample shower tile (16x16 grey that the shower curtain is laying on.  

But its all starting to match a little too well. I'm worried that the whole bathroom is going to be small grey/green square.  So what do I do? 
1-Change the wall color?  If so, what color? 
2-Keep our white sink  & and buy a new white toilet (it uses a ton of water and the tank lid is cracked). Sell the grey toilet and sink to pay for new white toilet.  
3-Pick a contrasting shower tile? If so, what color?  Does the shower tile color even matter because its covered by the shower curtain?

So all we need to buy now is a mirror cabinet, lighting fixture, and vanity for sink, and drywall.  

Lets hear some opinions.  Shauna I want to hear yours!

11 comments:

Shauna said...

I do see your monochromatic theme forming. I strongly suggest sticking to a neutral tile and use paint if you want to liven things up. (Do you remember the vintage teal we had in Holladay) I strongly suggest sticking to a neutral tile and use paint if you want to liven things up. I am a fan of white toilets and sinks. Whatever decide it will look amazing!

Natalie said...

I also like white sinks and toilets better, the only things is, these are free. They are really nice, high-end, but for home re-sale purposes, I am leaning towards buying a new white toilet.

When you say neutral tile what do you mean? Tan?

Natalie said...

You have a pool AND servants? What is this fantasy world you are living in where servants get paid with old dishes? Sign me up. I have all sorts of old cookware I could get rid of in exchange for some laundry and dusting.

I hesitated to mention where the free sink & toilet came from as to not get anyone in trouble, so thanks for putting a spot light on it. Lets just say it was gift.

By the way you were no help. Tile color? Wall color?

Shauna said...

By neutral I mean something that would go with almost any color paint and not compete. Bold tile colors are never a good choice in my world. We have travertine, which lends itself well to many paint choices. White tile is a classic.

I don't think it would be too hard to score a free sink and toilet again. Remodelers are always dumping this kind of stuff. Put some feelers out. Check Craigslist and KSL.com I will likewise keep my ear to the ground and I just know these items will show up for you. If not soon enough I would put the sink you have in and work with that, but I dare say a white toilet is a must. (Unless you are going for the vintage appeal, which certainly has its place too.) : )

Rick & Lizzy said...

JT is currently away at fantasy camp. His whole life is a fantasy camp! From what I have heard about his car, no one should be cleaning it that often.

Nat, I would suggest changing the wall color to the blue/green color that is in the shower curtain. Maybe even the yellow. I hate to suggest yellow because it can go terribly wrong, but you have a good eye. You could do it. If either of these colors have a dusty/grey hint to them they will work well I would think.

Natalie said...

Shauna-
I love our current white sink so really we just need a new toilet. I think if I could sell the green/grey set for decent set we could get a new white toilet.
But I'm sort of hanging onto the grey set because I think they are cool and I've had them for like 5 years now, waiting for a place to put them.
But I know we won't be living in this house forever and not everyone is going to think they are cool.

Lizzy- I love the yellow idea....but you are right it could go terribly wrong. The blue is safer for sure. But will I have the same problem with blue as the current green we have? Too monotone with the grey tiles?

Natalie said...

By the way, I trust all three of your opinions. Maybe I'll just hold off till you can all come visit and give me an in-home consultation. I realize that one of you lives out of the country and Florida might as well be out of the country, so it could be awhile. But I have a feeling this bathroom is going to have to wait for our roof to be done, our baby to be born, and till I have enough energy again to attack it. So how does next summer sound? Jonathan, you will be back in the states right?

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeAnna said...

Natalie, I painted my walls in my bedroom a yellow/tan. It doesn't look very yellow on the color swatch It is actually located with the browns, but I love my yellow walls. The color is called blonde at Sherwin Williams. You could still go with the tiles you've picked out, but I would go white sink and toilet and paint my walls the blond yellow color because I LOVE IT.

Dave said...

In the interest of cost savings, I would disregard all of the above, (they have no idea what they're talking about anyway). Install the current sink and toilet, use the paint color you already have and just pick a different (more neutral shower tile) a travertine is always an upper end neutral look, if you can find a deal on it. Check Sutherland for the travertine, good deals to be had there. If no luck on the travertine then just find a simple white, glossy 4X4 tile.

You're probably not going to have any luck trying to sell that set, so just get some use out of it and feel good about not being wasteful, plus you like it.

As far as future buyers not liking the sink and toilet, they can be swapped out later with little fuss. The sink you have is a pedestal, (which might be a problem since you don't have the actual pedestal) I'm sorry it was broken, but I think I have an idea on that. We can built from plywood and new base then just tile it with those little 1X1 glass tiles.

The big deal items that you're not going to change out in the future, are the floor tiles, wall tiles, and tub. Speaking of which, will you be replacing the current tub? Look into those "rebath" companies They can install liners that make tubs look like new. Just an idea.

Dave

Natalie said...

Dave-
We were planning on building a vanity if we used the either sink, white or grey, for storage and looks reasons. I think we are going to build out of pine and do a dark brown stain on it.
The bathtub isn't bad. Its from the late 60's- we weren't planning on replacing it.
I think I will take everyone's advice and go for a lighter tile in the shower.
I am going to put the toilet and sink on KSL and just see if I can sell it, if not, then we'll use it. If I can sell it, all we need to buy is a toilet.