I haven’t talked much about my new job, but I really love it. I think in Taiwan I didn’t love teaching as much as I could have. And I think a lot of it had to do with not getting enough sleep at night. I was always so tired during my classes (mostly due to romantic evenings spent with Thurman).
I teach ESL to grades K-6. For kindergarten, I take all Spanish-speaking kids in a class at one time. There are usually about 10-15 kids that I take for 45 mins at a time. The 4th-6th grade kids, I just tutor in small groups or one-on-one. I really like all the kids and all the ages. But those little kindergarteners are hard not to love. I’ve decided that age five is the cutest age. They know just enough about life to be hilarious. I have one little boy, Jonatan, who is an entertainer. I have to be careful not to spell or say his name Jonathan or he will immediately correct me. The first time he was in my class I had the kids sing me the ABC song to see if they knew it. The song ended and the kids stopped singing except for Jonatan who added a little flair at the end in the spirit of Aretha Franklin. Another time while letting them dance to a song about “things inside your house,” Jonatan managed to quickly organize the other kids into a conga line and danced them around the room.
It’s an ideal job except for the low pay. I don’t have a boss breathing down my neck. I run the classroom how I see fit. I work independently and am trusted in my decisions. And I get to be around fun little people all day. I really love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment