Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thurm and I just attended the most AWKWARD social event. There was a 20 minute pause while the judges were deciding the winner of a competition. While the judges were out the MC's had to kill time, but it was WAY more time than they expected. So they used about 5 minutes BSing with the audience and talking about how awkward the silence was and trying to come up with jokes to tell. That alone was horrible to watch. But it went awry when they opened it up to the audience. "Can anyone sing or dance for us?" chirp, chirp. When to our delight, a German middle-aged woman came up to the stage and said "I whistle any song for you. You tell me a song, I whistle it." Someone yelled out what the rest of the open-mouth audience was thinking "Is this for real?" The woman said "I start off with this one, I whistle it to my bird every night." Then she whistled. Not very good. Turns out she had stage fright. Then some teenage boys mocked her and she got offended and huffed off the stage.
Next, a woman offered her piano skills and played "Hey Mickey" as in "Hey Mickey, your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey." The MC's mumbled and fumbled their way through that as we all cringed.
Here's the climax. A bald, scrawny teacher from the NV side came up and decided to take over. " You know what we need? I think we need a little bit of improv." Nothing I could type would give this five minutes of him trying to entertain the audience justice. But it was one of those moments that EVERYONE is thinking "how do we get rid of this guy?" His vibrato was embarrassing. Meanwhile, they decide to introduce some high school boys that were stage hands. Never give a high school boy a microphone. One of them meowed into it. So picture bald, scrawny dude and six high school boys competing for attention on stage all the while "Hey Mickey" piano lady was bustling around the stage with the MC's trying to come up with material for the audience.

I wish I could have recorded and put it on YouTube. It would have been a cult classic.

How did they let it get to that point? Just have an intermission and let people go to the bathroom!!!

2 comments:

Nichelle said...

Sounds like a good time! Is it something they will repeat every year for you or was it just a one time event?

DeAnna said...

What I want to know is, were the judges in the back laughing it up wondering what you all would come up with next?